CARC – CORDOVA AMATEUR RADIO CLUB

MEETING AGENDA

Monday, January 11, 2016

CVFD Training Room – 7 p.m.




  1. Program : Joanie Behrends, supported by Chief Mike Hicks, presented RESPONDER READY,  a program delineating steps to preparedness.  We had some great discussion. 7:15PM- 8:20 PM


  1. Call to Order  

Meeting called to order 8:25 PM


  1. Roll Call  

Present were: KL2XZ Dick Groff, KL4DN Katherine Mead, KL2XM Bob Behrends, KL2XN joanie Behrends, KL4DL Stephen Phillips KL4DL, KL2YE Mike Hicks, KL1AL Ralph Bullis, KL4DM Rheo Reroma, and Mark Meredith.


  1. The Reading of our Purpose


  1. Approval of Agenda

Moved: Dick; Second: Katherine to approve the January 11, 2016 agenda with the additions of the minutes from December 21, 2015. Motion passed unanimously.



  1. Approval of Minutes for December 14, 2015

Moved: Katherine; Second: Bob to approve the December 14, 2015 minutes. Motion passed unanimously.


  1. Approval of Minutes from Executive Meeting December 21, 2016

Moved: Katherine; Second: Mark to approve the December 21, 2015 minutes. Motion passed unanimously.



  1. Treasurer’s report  balance $220.84…patches for sale..

Bob reports that the current balance is $220.84. Patches are now for sale for $10/patch. Lastly, it is time to renew membership dues, which have been increased to $60. See meeting minutes from 12.21.15 for details.


  1. Communications : Jim Wiley  KL7CC re January Testing.

Joanie will ask about the materials, since they have not yet arrived. Joanie will send out the sites  to study from….hamstudy.org…or hamtestonline.com



  1. Committee Reports- none


  1. Emergency Coordinator Report

Ralph reported that tomorrow, January 12,  is the ARES conference call. 1-800-315-6338  code 70311#  The agenda is AK Shield and local drills.  We will report that we tried to do the “Almost Santa” Drill. Joanie asked Raplph to say “Thanks” to Jerry for all the help on the drill.


  1. Unfinished Business

    1. IRLP Node Update

      1. Internet Connection-Stephen has gone back and forth with CTC and they don’t want to devote any more time to the internet connection problem. Stephen said we will take the port from CTC and do our own.

      2. Script Deployments  Nothing done yet on this… still studying

      3. Secondary Board There are no ideas now about what to use the secondary board for…table until later

      4. CPNI information – CTC has a form for the CPNI information that needs 2 signatures on it. Stephen suggested that the President, Vice-President, and Secretary be listed on the form. Moved: Katherine; Second Dick that those people be listed on the CPNI information form. Motion passed unanimously.

    2. Repeater ID update

      1. Schedule Trip up the mountain-

CARC acquired 1) Articom info (when joanie visited them in Anchorage)  and 2) internet info to finish the repeater ID project. Stephen prepared it  and Windows 10 worked perfectly. We are ready.  Feb 13th is the next trip up the mountain.

  1. Club Liability Insurance

    1. Club decision needs to be made …

Moved: joanie; Second Katherine to acquire ARRL club insurance. After much discussion, joanie and Katherine withdrew the motion. During the discussion Stephen informed members that their personal equipment s also covered , at cost replacement, with ARRL insurance. It was decided that Stephen will update quote. Joanie will talk to Jim Larson to get some clarification...and  Ralph will talk to ARES about insurance.

    1. Charter states the club will maintain liability insurance

  1. Non-Profit IR Status

Joanie has started on the paperwork

  1. “Donated” computers for club

AK Communications refused to sign off their assets, so we could not get any “donated” computers, as Stephen was hoping. Stephen has donated a personal computer that he will not be using. It will need to be reloaded to windows 7. It was suggested that maybe Bryan would consider doing  it.

  1. Ralph wants to sell his FT-897

Ralph wants to sell his FT-987. Stephen is interested.



  1. New Business

    1. Echo Link Adapter for IRLP node-

There is a link that we can acquire via a thumb drive into our CARC computer and connect to echolink (for $40) . Mike will look into it.

  1. Change to Roll Call It was suggested that we might consider making ROLL CALL more informal. Or not have Roll Call. The subsequent discussion centered on the fact that some people are less likely to speak up on the radio, at all, as they are first learning. Most folks felt it was good to have Roll Call because Roll Call encourages the hesitant to “speak up”.

    1. Make Roll call informal

It was decided to make no changes yet. To shorten the Roll Call, we will not call the names of members who have not participated recently.

    1. Does this have any bearing on ARES? No. n/a

  1. Club Website  

Stephen has a domain name available. There was some discussion about it. He is willing to do make the website. It was decided to table it for now, to think about it.

  1. Announce the NEXT meeting each time  

It was decided that we will announce, at each meeting…what the exact date of the next meeting will be. February 8th   is the next meeting.  Meetings will start @ 6:30 in the future.

  1. Good of the Order

1) Dick offered to do review classes prior to the HAM test. Although the last review classes were great (last July) , It was decided we don’t need the classes this time .

2) Bob suggested CARC buy some radios for new members to use… to encourage them. It was decided to bring to the members, next month, the top three radios for us to consider. This is an action for the next month. Mike has offered to so that.

3) Katherine: suggests that we need a “TO GO BOX” for our CLUB.

4) Joanie- finally gave Stephen his badge!  Congratulations Stephen. ☺

5) Ralph suggests we go see this site:  packradio.com



  1. Adjourn

Moved: Katherine; Second: Mark to adjourn. Motion passed unanimously. Adjourned at 9:50 PM