CARC – CORDOVA AMATEUR RADIO CLUB

MEETING AGENDA

Monday, June 13, 2016

CVFD Training Room – 7 p.m.


  1. Program – There was no program this evening


  1. Call to Order  

Meeting called to order @ 7:06 PM


  1. Roll Call

Present were: KL4DL Stephen Phillips, KL4AF Bryan  Mills, KL2XZ Dick Groff, KL4DN Katherine Mead, KL2XM Bob Behrends, KL2XN joanie Behrends, KL4DM Rheo Reroma, and James Thorne


  1. The Reading of our Purpose

Last month Stephen wondered if the “Purpose” that joanine had been reading each month was the same one from the CARC Constitution?  Joanie affirmed that it was.


  1. Approval of Agenda for June 13, 2016

Moved: Dick; Second: Bryan to approve the June 13, 2016 agenda. Motion passed unanimously.


  1. Approval of Minutes for May 9, 2016  

Moved: Bryan; Second: Dick to approve May 9th minutes.  Motion passed unanimously.


  1. Treasurer’s report

Bob reports that the current balance is $700.94, plus a membership check this date (from Bryan) for $60. Bob also mentioned he has PATCHES. They are$10 and you may buy as many as you wish. Just contact him.


  1. Communications

Joanie had communications, via email, with Jim Wiley, as he is gathering old exams around the state. Those who had any were requested to return them to Jim.

She was also contacted, via email and phone,  by Pete Marsh. He is an experienced HAM in the Anchorage Bowl whom we met through AK Shield. He was the “Elmer” for one of the National Guard Folks (Jordan Murdock) who came to do HAM radio during the exercise.  He would very much like to come to Cordova and work with CARC.

Moved: Bryan; Second: Dick to direct joanie to contact him and set up a time for him to visit CARC. Potential dates discussed were July 9-11 or August 6-8, both to coincide with a CARC meeting, too…if possible. Joanie will check into it.

Motion passed unanimously.


  1. Committee Reports  

There are currently no committees. It was suggested we form a committee when we  actually start up a website.


  1. Emergency Coordinator Report  Ralph is traveling, so there was no report. Dick mentioned that the ARES Conference Call will be tomorrow night (June 14) if anyone wants to listen in. He said to call him to get the information.  Stephen and joanie may listen in.


  1. Unfinished Business

    1. IRLP Node Update

      1. New NIC has arrived.  Rheo ordered the part and has donated it to the club. THANKS Rheo!

      2. Scheduled to install this week, most likely Thursday June 16th   Stephen will install this week, maybe even prior to the 16th.


  1. Repeater ID update

    1. Saturday June 18th? Yes, this date was confirmed, after some discussion of doing it on a Sunday.

    2. Spoke to Mike about using the 4 Wheelers, he’s on board.  It was discussed that the time to do this might best be in the morning, so we have the rest of the day with our families, etc.  Stephen suggested meeting at the ski hill @ 10:00 am. Saturday. Stephen will coordinate and confirm with Paul Trumblee and double check with Chief Hicks about using the 4-wheelers. Joanie will send out an email to invite CARC members to the outing.

Motion passed unanimously, with one NAY from Katherine. She has to work that day.


  1. Club Liability Insurance

Stephen has not had a chance to get another quote from Fidelity and clear up the confusion about what actually is covered.

Moved: Bryan; Second: Katherine to table this discussion. . Motion passed unanimously.


  1. Non-Profit IRS Status

    1. Joanie suggested that CARC use the Conflict of Interest (COI) statement that she proposed last meeting and put it in the Constitution and then bring the updated Constitution to a vote next meeting. There was some discussion about the benefits of applying for a the 501c3, since this is the reason we would alter the Constitution. Dick mentioned that, in addition to the ability to fundraise, the club would also be able to accept tax deductible donations.

    2. Moved: joanie; Second : Bryan to direct joanie to insert the COI statement into the CARC Constitution and bring back to the next meeting for adoption. Motion passed, unanimously.


  1. Echo Link Adapter  

Mike was not present , so there was no report


    1. Net Control Schedule

      1. Joanie apologized that she has not gotten the schedule done, but was confused about whether the membership wants a 2 week schedule or a monthly schedule. After some discussion it was decided to go with a 2 week schedule.

  1. New Business

    1. License Exams and Classes

CARC will administer Technician, General, and Extra exams on Wedn. June 22nd. Mr Groff ordered the exams and contacted Anchorage about Skyping the exams. The VE exam is in the box too, and anyone interested in becoming a VE can talk to him.

It was decided not to have a formal study session.

The Technician exam will start @ 5:30 pm. The General and Extra will start @ 7:00 pm. Joanie will advertise the test.


  1. Good of the Order

CARC will determine our NEW letterhead at the next meeting. Joanie will send out the current letterhead and invite everyone to create and bring a new design to the next meeting. At that time, we will choose the new letterhead.

Moved: Bryan; Second: Katherine to direct joanie to send this information out to the membership  and choose a new letterhead next meeting. Motion passed unanimously.


Also, Dick brought the GENERAL study book along, in case anyone wanted to do a short Q&A to study for the exam.


  1. Adjournment

Moved: joanie; Second: Bob to adjourn. Motion passed unanimously. Adjourned @ 2006



***NEXT MEETING IS Monday JULY 11th  !!